5 Tips For Living Cavity Free
Sometimes it seems that even with proper brushing and flossing we still can’t avoid the occasional cavity. While brushing and flossing are very important, many people require additional help in order to stay cavity free. If you find yourself brushing and flossing 2-3 times/day and still getting cavities, try doing the following:
- Use a fluoride rinse after brushing. This will help clean out anything you may have missed with your toothbrush and will help strengthen the enamel of your teeth. Refrain from drinking anything for about 30 minutes after rinsing.
- If you can’t brush right after you eat, rinse your mouth out with water and chew a piece of sugar-free gum. The gum will help neutralize the ph balance in your mouth and suppress bacteria growth.
- Eat foods that help promote good oral health. Fruits and vegetables as well as dairy generate saliva in your mouth as well as strengthen your teeth. Stay away from wine, soft drinks, chewy snacks and candy, which tend to wreak havoc on your teeth.
- Avoid snacking between meals.
- Always keep your 6 month cleaning appointments with us so that your teeth are being professional cleaned twice a year. This also allows us the opportunity to spot problems before they develop into anything larger.
As you can see, with a few easy lifestyle changes you can dramatically reduce your risk of getting cavities. As your Richmond dentist, we hope you will give us a call if you have any other questions about living cavity free! Thanks for reading.