If you want to have a healthy smile, it is important to understand the fundamentals of good oral health. Rusnak Family Dentistry believes in preventative dental care, and as such, we wanted to share some dental health tips to help you maintain your beautiful smile.
Follow the 10 easy dental health tips we have provided below in order to keep your smile in great shape for the rest of your life!
- Brush 2-3 times per day the right way: You can brush 10 times a day, but if you don’t brush thoroughly you may be wasting your time. Brush for at least 2 minutes each time and make sure you are covering all areas of your mouth!
- Store your toothbrush properly: Rinse your brush with hot water after using it and store it in an upright position. Allow your toothbrush to air dry until you use it again and keep it in an out-of-the-way place such as a medicine cabinet or under the counter.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months: You use your toothbrush multiple times a day to clean bacteria from your mouth. Just trust on this one – it needs to be replaced at least once every 3 months.
- Don’t sip on soda or eat sweets throughout the day: The consistent presence of sugar on your teeth can do some serious damage to your pearly whites. If you drink soda or eat candy make sure to brush afterwards or at least rinse your mouth out with water.
- Floss at least once a day: You saw this one coming! Think about it: You miss cleaning 35% of the surface of your teeth if you just brush and don’t floss. Once you get into the habit flossing becomes much less of a nuisance.
- See your dentist twice a year for hygiene visits: These visits are very important to your overall oral health. Having the tartar and calculus professionally removed from your teeth as well as having a complete dental exam ensures that there are no undetected problems in your mouth and helps prevent future problems from occurring.
- Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, and dairy in your diet: All of these foods contain nutrients that will help keep your teeth healthy and strong. Make sure you are eating them every day!
- Use a mouthwash or fluoride rinse daily: We like to recommend the alcohol free rinses that don’t dry out your mouth. Get in the habit of rinsing with one of these at least once a day.
- Avoid food and drink that will stain your teeth: Coffee, red wine, black tea, cigarettes and cigars are all examples of things that will stain your pearly whites and potentially weaken your teeth.
- Use a mouthguard if you play sports: We recommend that all athletes wear a mouthguard during sporting events. This will help protect your teeth, lips and tongue from painful injuries that may be caused otherwise.
Related Blog Posts:
5 Foods That Stain Your Teeth
3 Reasons You Need an Annual Oral Cancer Screening
5 Tips for Living Cavity Free
The Ultimate Guide to Brushing Your Teeth
Questions to Ask at Your Next Dental Appointment